Stepladder Safety on the Job
Whether you work in an office, plant or warehouse, a stepladder is a handy and versatile tool. Here are a few do's and don'ts for using them safely:
- Check the ladder's load rating to ensure it can support your weight plus anything you need to hold while on it.
- Choose the right size. A stepladder roughly 3 feet shorter than the highest point you need to reach is the safest.
- Inspect the ladder before using it to make sure it's in good working order. Look for cracks, loose rivets, corroded joints/braces and slippery surfaces.
- Keep your knees below the top of the stepladder; never stand or sit on the top!
- Never allow more than one person on a stepladder at a time.
Reminder: Contact your staffing supervisor anytime your job responsibilities or work environment/conditions change.